The summer days of July and August are hot and oppressive in nearly every state in the continental United States. Step outside around noon for ten minutes and you go through a series of experiences that can best be described as unpleassant.
- Stepping from air conditioning in to the summer heat feels as if you are walking into an oven.
- Your clothes and hair seem to wilt almost immediately.
- As minutes tick by your hair clings to your skin and shaving your head bald begins to sound like a good idea.
- After 8 or 9 minutes perspiration gathers on your upper lip, your under arms, and anywhere else that it can.
- Your body feels heavy and all energy saps out of you.
What should you do to survive these two intense months with a good attitude. We asked a number of people for their summer survival skills and this is what they told us:
- Stay hydrated. Drink at least a third more water each day than you do in December.
- Change your eating habits. Heavy proteins and carbs make you feel full, bloated, and warmer. Choose fresh salads, chilled fruit, light sandwiches and cool soups like gazpacho.
- Change your socializing habits. Forget a middle-of-the-day picnic. Invite friends to kayak but plan your outing for the cool longer summer evening hours. You can still see what you’re doing and youo won’t huff and puff while doing it. Evening concerts, late night strolls indoor wine tastings are all good choices.
- Wear more, not less. Forget the strapless top you showed off in the spring. Wear long sleeved light weight cotton blouses and loose, drawstring cotton pants with sandals. Fabric should be gossamer thin but have good coverage to protect you from the sun.
- Turn the water temperature down and take two quick showers a day. Tepid water gets you just as clean but leaves you feeling more refreshed. Take a shower just before you dress in the morning and another right after you get home. Then moisturize your skin with Mango Body Souffle with Shea Butter.
You’ll make it through summer just fine if you remember these simple tips and you’ll feel wonderful in spite of it!